Grit is essential to living a life of freedom beyond your wildest dreams. Do you have what it takes?
Disclosure: This post may or may not be sponsored or contain an affiliate link. If you click through a link and make a purchase, it may or may not earn me a small commission, at no additional cost to you! As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases.
If you’re asking what grit is you may be in need of some. But there is good news! Just like self-esteem and an abundance mentality, you can ‘grow’ it!
But you can’t grow it before you can define it!
So what is Grit?
Grit is a lot of things. By definition it is , “courage and resolve; strength of character.” according to Oxford Languages. Out of the parts of that definition strength of character is by far the most important to me. Strength of character is that which no one touch or change, or besmirch.
Some other ways that I would define grit include:
- Thinking outside of the box
- Not taking no for an answer
- Not letting yourself get in the way
It is that extra gear you didn’t know existed until you had to use it. When the going gets tough and your back is against the wall and somehow you keep forging ahead. Does this sound like you? If it doesn’t, that’s okay! You can develop these skills, like grit and a sense of self-importance! Don’t settle for a life of fear and anxiety!
Ways you can develop grit
I will begin with stating that it does not happen overnight, like most things. But if you are the kind to give up when things don’t happen right away, developing some of these skills can be very beneficial to you! For the simple matter that most things worth having are not easy to get.
Here are some ways to develop grit:
- Start small- give yourself small wins and build on them!
- Begin your day off on the right foot, drink a glass of water, and take time to appreciate what you have.
- Do one thing every day that scares you- it doesn’t have to be jumping out of a plane but small things outside of your comfort zone.
- Push your envelope every time- start working out and if all you can do is 5 situps, do 6 the next day for example.
- Build your emotional strength by remembering that you only have one life to live and that other people are too preoccupied with themselves to worry about you!
Why does this relate to living your best life?
Because like I said above, things worth having are usually not easy to get. There is a saying that it is lonely at the top, and that could not be more true. The more you push past ‘average’ you gain the admiration of some and the ire of others, but those at the top generally don’t care. Another saying, lion’s don’t concern themselves with the opinions of sheep.
Just know that if you are stretching outside of your comfort zone, or if you’re already so uncomfortable in your comfort zone, that it’s okay to reach for more! This is your life and you have to live it authentically to yourself! But you will absolutely need some grit to get to where you want to go.
If you want to read a truly inspiring story about grit read Rachel Hollis’s book Girl Wash Your Face! It is all about her personal struggles and how she was able to overcome them.